Select Page


Traveling with Your Pet

Traveling with Your Pet

Traveling with pets can be traumatic for all concerned, especially if preparations are not made beforehand. Here are a few suggestions for a safe and comfortable journey.

If you are flying with your pet… contact the airline and us ahead of time. The airlines have special rules and regulations for pets and you will need health papers filled out ahead of time. If you are traveling or moving overseas, contact us at least 6 months ahead. The paperwork involved can be
a nightmare.
If you are crossing state lines… whether you are traveling by air or car, you will need a health certificate from us filled out within 10 days of your trip. Health certificates are required by law to help stop the spread of rabies and other diseases from state to state. Different states have different rules about the frequency of rabies vaccine administration, so your pet may need a booster shot before you leave. You should also carry a copy of your pet’s rabies certificate with you. Without these papers, if you are stopped by police during your trip, you can be fined and your animal quarantined for 10 to 14 days at your expense.

Be sure your pet is wearing a collar with ID tags while traveling, in case he or she gets lost. An extra tag with the name and phone number of a friend or relative is also a good idea – remember, you won’t be home to take the call if your pet is found again. Consider having a microchip or tattoo applied for permanent identification.

The article is picture-oriented. Click on the above to view.